Unidentified Decorative Surface Finishing Processes

image link-topic-sf0.jpg

1. What?

This Notebook will collect, I hope temporarily, decorative surface finishing processs for which either (a) I know of an example but I don't know what it is called, or (b) I have a name or reference but I don't know what it looks like.

2. Watered or Wavy Surface (Horological)

Saunier, in his Handbook, describes this in sections 172 and 180 as if it were a primary technique. I can find no other references to it.

Neither can I quite understand it from his description; it may simply be something like Côtes de Genève.

3. Shown in Images

What is the pattern on the pinkish plates in this Unitas Swiss 6498 movement? Is it cut? hammered?

[click image to view larger]

(Photograph by flickr user jimmysmith (Jimmy Smith) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmysmith/3307216254/ License: Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial NoDerivatives 2.0)

The movement of an Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321 wristwatch ("chronograph") taken by flickr user "Malenkov in Exile" (Shane Lin). The brass wheels (gears) are finished with circular graining (not really visible in this view as they are in motion), and the case is either circular grained or brushed (perhaps a matter of definition). But the plates themselves are finished with a sort of a ribbed pattern of arcs. (Click through to see it in full resolution.) What is this called? How was it produced?

[click image to view larger]
image ../circular-graining/link-to-shanelin-malenkov-omega-speedmaster-circular-graining-Omega-Cal-321_Chronograph_movement-sf0.jpg

(Photograph by flickr user "Malenkov in Exile" (Shane Lin) License: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0. Location: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8869879@N05/5013939711 (also on Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Omega_Cal._321_Chronograph_movement.jpg )

Select Resolution: 0 [other resolutions temporarily disabled due to lack of disk space]